Alcohol

Alcohol poisoning in pets is very common! PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND AWARE!

You may think it is funny when some pets drink alcoholic beverages right out of the glass or lap them off the floor, but, when pets ingest alcohol, it gets rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and becomes alcohol poisoning.

There are three types of alcohols that can harm your pet:

1. Ethanol (acetaldehyde) – converted to acetic acid

  • alcoholic beverages
  • some rubbing alcohols
  • fermenting bread dough
  • many oral liquid medications

2. Methanol (formaldehyde) – converted to formic acid

  • windshield washer fluid (antifreeze)

3. Isopropanol (acetone) – converted to carbon dioxide

  • some rubbing alcohols
  • nail polish remover
  • some external flea sprays for pets
 

Symptoms:

 

 

  • Vomiting
  • Hypersalivation (excessive drooling)
  • Diarrhea
  • Ataxia (decreased coordination, drunken walk)
  • Tremors
  • CNS (Central Nervous System) depression
  • Bradycardia (decrease in heart rate)
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Acidic blood (metabolic acidosis)
  • Seizures
  • Coma
Links:
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4952310
 

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Leave a Reply

Submit

    Type your search string. Minimum 4 characters are required.