Garlic

Garlic is toxic to all animals. The toxic component is N-propyl disulfide and other sulfur-containing oxidants (SCO). Cats are the most sensitive and develop more severe symptoms. All parts of the onion plant is toxic to pets. Dried onions and garlic used for cooking are also toxic and since they are dried, more of the toxins are present in smaller volumes. Don’t forget a lot of broths, baby foods, and soups contain onions and garlic, so be sure to check the ingredients before you share with your pets.

Symptoms

Symptoms typically develop within 24 hours, but they can be delayed for up to 7 days after the food has been ingested.

  • Vomiting
  • Anemia caused by rupturing of the red blood cells
  • Blood in the urine (red or brown colored urine)
  • Weakness
  • Pale gums
  • Panting
  • Rapid heart rate

Links:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/garlic

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/onion-garlic-chive-and-leek-toxicity-in-dogs

https://firstvet.com/us/articles/the-truth-about-onion-and-garlic-toxicity-in-dogs

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435

This database contains items that are known to be toxic to animals. Please note that the information contained in our database is not meant to be all-inclusive, but rather a small list of the most frequently substances that are toxic to animals. Items may differ in appearance from the photos used. If you believe that your animal may have ingested a toxin, or if you have any further questions regarding the information contained in this database, contact either your local veterinarian or the APCC 24-hour emergency poison hotline at 1-888-426-4435.

Leave a Reply

Submit

    Type your search string. Minimum 4 characters are required.