Cyclamen

All parts of the Cyclamens plant contain terpenoid saponins, which is the toxic component. However, the tubers, which are underground, has the largest amount and is the most toxic to your pet. Luckily, dogs and cats rarely ingest the tubers and just chew on the leaves and flowers. This will typically cause mild stomach upset and mouth irritation that should resolve in under 24 hours. If you have a pet that is suspected of chewing on the Cyclamens plant, rinse the pet’s mouth with water to reduce irritation and then call your vet. 

Symptoms

  • Drooling (hypersalivation)
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Reduced Appetite
  • Abnormal heartbeat – with large amounts of tuber ingestion
  • Seizures – with large amounts of tuber ingestion
  • Death – with large amounts of tuber ingestion

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Submit

    Type your search string. Minimum 4 characters are required.