Bleach poisoning is common. The majority cases of bleach poisoning is with regular household bleach, which is an irritant but not a corrosive agent. Other cases involving the concentrated bleach. Bleach poisoning can cause severe lesions on the skin, down the esophagus, and into the stomach that can take weeks or months to heal.  If you suspect that an animal has been poisoned with bleach, you need to seek treatment as quickly as possible.  Cats and dogs are most susceptible  to bleach poisoning as they can walk on a bleach spill and lick their paws afterward.

Low level bleach poisoning can cause chemical burns and lesions both internally and externally. Color-safe bleach generally causes vomiting, and if it has a high concentration, blood might appear.  Symptoms begins within minutes. These include heavy drooling (especially in cats) and redness and irritation on the skin and in and around the mouth.

To avoid bleach poisoning, keep bleach away from your pets. When not in use, bleach should always be kept in a place that’s not reachable by your dog or cat. While you’re cleaning you should put your pet in another room and do whatever you can to make the bleach totally inaccessible.



Disclaimer –  The content of this page is not veterinary advice. A number of factors (amount of substance ingested, size of the animal, allergies, etc.) determine what is toxic to a particular pet. If you think your pet has eaten something potentially toxic, call Pet Poison Helpline or seek immediate veterinary treatment.