Garlic is an Allium. Out of all of the Allium’s garlic is the most potent. It is poisonous to most species including dogs, cats, cattle, horses, birds, reptiles, sheep, and goats. It is about 5 times more toxic than onions or leeks.

After an animal ingests garlic, symptoms can occur within 24 hours. Garlic poisoning in the small intenstine can be delayed for up to 1 week. Toxic doses of garlic causes damage to red blood cells, making them more likely to rupture. Destruction of red blood cells leads to anemia which can manifest as lethargy, pale gums, increased heart rate, increased respiratory rate, weakness, exercise intolerance, and collapse. GI upset (e.g., nausea, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea) can also occur secondary to garlic ingestion.







Disclaimer –  The content of this page is not veterinary advice. A number of factors (amount of substance ingested, size of the animal, allergies, etc.) determine what is toxic to a particular pet. If you think your pet has eaten something potentially toxic, call Pet Poison Helpline or seek immediate veterinary treatment.